Thursday, December 3, 2009

Stink, Stank, Stunk

Something about unemployment has got me in the season. Knee deep in the season. Like, I might need someone to hand me a branch because I might not be able to get out of the season by myself.

Ooh, that reminds me, I have to watch Little Women soon.

See, this is what I'm talking about. Without the distraction of "work" and "life," I'm watching movies left and right--and this year it's not just because I accidentally changed the channel and The Santa Clause was on. Oh, no. I specifically made it home by 7 in order to make that one. My phone's wallpaper is a picture of just-born Rudolph, and I'm looking up recipes for hot buttered rum (which I've never tasted before, let alone made.)

I am an insane list-maker. If I don't write something down, I will never remember it. So I have a list for gifts to buy, of meals to make, a list of songs I need to download (how do I not have Piano Man?) a list for potential Halloween costumes, etc, etc, etc. And I have a list of Stuff I Need To Do This Winter/Christmas. This year, that list includes:

1. "Homemade gingerbread houses": Now, the fact that I haven't made a successful gingerbread house since 4th grade doesn't deter me. Neither does the fact that I have never made any kind of gingerbread. Or icing. And neither does the fact that I insist on badly burning myself each time I use the oven. The idea of a successful gingerbread house is just too juicy.

2. "Roast chestnuts on an open fire": Problem 1) What is a chestnut? Problem 2) Do people sell them? Problem 3) No open fire. My prediction: I accidentally buy hazelnuts and we burn them over open gas stove flames.

3. "Sled": My parents have our old sleds (I hope, unless my mom tossed them out with the rest of my childhood memories.) So I suppose the only way we'll make this work is by travelling to the burbs and sledding alongside the tiny children. Oh, the faceplants. The faceplants!

These are the three items on the list that I am most worried about. Adventures to be updated.

No comments: