Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I'm A Fraud

So, I haven't checked this blog's stats for a while. I had no reason to believe anything had significantly changed around here. I've been posting moderately, people have been not commenting as per usual. Everything was all good in EJS land.

OR WAS IT?

Today I did my monthly check-in to see what's been going on in the past month. usually I see a small spike on the days I posted to my personal Facebook wall, even higher for actual good posts. Nothing too crazy. Here is what I saw today:



What the WHAT?! How? Why? How and why and where and when and for good measure whom?!

Well, I did some sleuthing. Turns out, someone pinned a picture from here to Pinterest and it went Pinterest-level viral. Piral. Problem is, it wasn't an EJS original. In fact, it was flat out stolen by me and uncredited. It was the whale picture from this post.

Should I have credited this picture? Absolutely. Why didn't I? I don't know, probably because I assumed all of 5 people would see the damn thing and they'd all be my immediate friends and family. Not an excuse, though. At all. Whoever took that picture absolutely deserves credit. But for the life of me, I can't figure out where the picture came from. I don't remember if someone sent it to me, if I found it on my own, or if it creepily swam up next to me unsuspectingly. I JUST DON'T KNOW. All I know is, I'm getting a HELL of a lot of traffic for something that I did not produce, and I have no idea how to properly credit it.

So I'm asking all of you--if you know where the picture came from, or if you're the one who sent it to me, PLEASE tell me so I can credit it to the right place. Not that I mind the extra views, but I'd rather get them for the right reasons. And I vow from now on to give credit to pictures like that. It's not fair of me to steal traffic.

I'm going to go hide my head in shame/fear of that picture now.

No comments: