Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You And Your Hobbies.

I'm at an interesting place in my life. An interesting, weird place.

I think it's called "my late 20s." WEIRD.

It's a time where I'm no longer massively entertained by the three Bs: Beer, Bars, and Boys (tee hee! Okay, maybe a little bit.) and I'm realizing that I actually need like...hobbies. Like actual things that I like to do. Because, as much as I want it to be true, "acting like Amy Poehler on a consistent basis" is not something I can put on my resume.

Actually, it's not for my resume this time. I have stuff for my resume, because apparently I do work-related things now and again. No, this time I actually want to do stuff for ME. What ACTUALLY entertains me? Why am I one of those girls who cites "hanging out with my friends" as something that I like to do, as if that is some kind of defining quality? Oh, really? Do you also think puppies are cute and do you like to eat good food?


(Husband and wife dream team. AmIrightoramIright?)

So I'm starting to go for some hobbies. I attempted to crochet already. But in my hurry, I decided that I don't need to count stitches so my scarf will probably become a really long triangle. I'm too far along to start over, though, and if there's one hobby I already have, it is frustrating, debilitating stubbornness.

I also think I want to make my own candles. I'm pretty sure it's insanely easy: you buy the wax & fragrance, you schmelt it, you toss it into a jar with a wick and VOILA, candles for the People.

I know what you must be thinking, "Wow, a girl who has a cat, no hobbies and believes KITTING AND CANDLES are going to add spice to her life? What a CATCH!" And I can say to you, sir: y'all don't know me. Y'all. Don't know me.

Sigh, but you do. Which is why I need your help. I need hobbies. I need things to do that will make me interesting and also do not involve competition. You know how I feel about organized exercise. Now that it's starting to get nice, my roller blading ideas may get enacted. And maybe I'll take a sculpting class? I like clay. I like making things out of other things. Or an improv class? I do need to work on my spontaneity. Sometime....eventually. But both those things seem really expensive endeavors just so I can feel like I "do stuff sometimes."

But seriously. I need some ideas for viable hobbies. I swear to God, while flipping through the newest Crate & Barrel catalog today I actually had the thought, "Maybe I could get into succulents."

MAYBE. I COULD GET. INTO SUCCULENTS.

Like, these:


Help me. Please.

1 comment:

Liketohike said...

Hobby ideas: Photography, quilting, knitting, crocheting (try again!), glass blowing, pottery/ceramics, jewelry making, sewing.

Find a class at a studio, zoo, park district (parks dept?), library.

Blogging is a hobby! Also reading!